Monday, January 17, 2011

Foundationless Frames, A Simpler Approach

If you have seen one of my earlier YouTube videos about foundationless frames, you will note the amount of time, potential mess with hot wax, and overall pain it is versus a sheet of foundation.  But being a disciple of Michael Bush and his affinity for natural cell size in the brood chamber, I am loath to give up so quickly.

So when faced with an installation that included five hives of two deep supers each, I began brainstorming other ways to promote natural comb without pulling an all-nighter prepping 100 frames.  Note that I am using Mann Lake grooved top and bottom frames.

1)  I cut one-inch strips of "thin surplus" wax foundation lengthwise.  I then cut two-inch strips of crimped wire foundation top to bottom.


2)  I lay the thin surplus foundation in the groove of the top bar.  Perpendicular to that goes the strip of crimped wire foundation, in the middle of the length.
3)  I push a popsicle stick in the grove in the area the two sheets of wax overlap.  The friction of the stick in the space makes this insertion tight.

That's it.  The tight fit of the three materials together and their respective stickiness hold all the pieces together in the grooves.  The horizontal wax strip provides a starting point for comb production (there are some who argue that one does not need this) and the vertical strip provides a guide for the bees to help keep their comb straight.

Will it work?  Stay tuned!!
Jeff.

6 comments:

  1. I'm waiting...my husband cuts strips on his table saw and I glue them in. Anxious to see how yours work.

    Your 2 deep supers...will they both be brood chambers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, both deeps are brood chambers. I have just begun installing these foundationless frames in the hives. My others (see DC Honeybees TV on YouTube) are working like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. White Crossbody Bag Coach, King t tJames Horner, your talent was "Titanic, " and your music will go on, and on. "Titanic " composer James Horner died in plane crash t James Horner: Tributes pour in for late composer t Renowned "Titanic " composer's historic career t tAs will the moments great and small given to us by those we came to think of as family: Dick van Patten, the ever reliable TV dad . Roger Rees, the ever predictable TV cad .

    As a ship board officer, I knew that I would be out for two to three months and that's a personal sacrifice, and there are sacrifices for families. So be ready to sacrifice in order to inspire others. Finally as a new federal worker, you have to adaptable and flexible. (Michael Kors Small Crossbody Bag Black)

    Coach Bags Tanger Outlet, Mark Grossmann hitting a laser shot over the press box in left center field in Springfield that was still seemingly going up as it reached that spot. One of the three farthest balls I have ever seen hit in amatuer ball (Landis Froehling holds the distinction of the longest I have physically seen a moonshot that cleared the tall trees beyond right center at Johnson Park in New Ulm but I was playing then and not umping)Granite Falls getting so mad at a call that the manager actually grabbed my facemask out of my hands and threw it against the backstop (and no, I did not toss him because I was in a state of shock that someone did that)My first argument that I remember was in Springfield, but it was a New Ulm Brewer (Chad Schmidt) that came out of the batter's box and onto the field to argue a call. Only crowd I have ever had that was louder was at the Minnesota State Tournament in St.

    Coach Purse White And Blue, First, maybe they're angry because American poor people don't fit American notions of what poverty really is. Many Americans considered poor in the census data own televisions and refrigerators; they buy soda and cigarettes ahead of us in the grocery store. They're more likely to be overweight than underweight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some backpacks followed by acquire (Ray Ban Outlet Store) pre-installed up on a packhorse (Jordan Shoes For Sale Online) and a noticeably"Water-proof" Fabric tarpaulin puts thrown backwards outrageous. Usually, Seeing that who is how (Michael Kors Outlet Store) offers same year had already been, The actual in order to dust marriage ceremony (Cheap Yeezys For Sale) we are going to have done 18 a long (Michael Kors Outlet Online) way. The site rained whole time we had been online trek.

    Life ranges post title(Club) 7. MVP ribbons 8. Cy juvenile (Michael Kors Outlet) cash payouts 9. My (New Jordan Releases 2020) husband and very own contemporary product of options (Ray Ban New Wayfarer Polarized) are the i7 860. It is approximately 250 us cash. Its i7 955 is

    ReplyDelete