Saturday, December 4, 2010

Where is the DC Bee Community?

Here is a copy of an entry I made to a DC beekeepers blog where I vented a bit on the weak activity in this critical policy-making city:

I'm feeling very alone in this market given the relative quiet on the local blogs regarding beekeeping, including this one.  The local beekeeping associations, to which I belong, are also short on outreach or even modest organization.  For instance, I wrote to one association asking about whether they are planning a bulk package buy for this spring, and I have received no response for 30 days.
I am please to offer the link to my blog which is updated regularly and which describes our initiatives and their modest success.
http://dchoneybees.blogspot.com/
Come on, people.  The bee is dying and the beekeeper is aging.  We need new, young blood and outreach is the key, coupled with partnerships with like-minded organizations.
Jeff.

Was that like going postal, or what?  Tomorrow, I jaywalk.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff, I stumbled across your blog through the DC-Urban-Gardener Yahoo group. We, too, are novice DC urban beekeepers -- on Capitol Hill. We installed our hive last spring in a second story, south facing sleeping porch. Saw some activity during the beautiful sunny day yesterday so we're taking that as a good sign our girls will make it through the winter. I agree that the few local beekeepers in DC are a quiet bunch. Maybe our families can get together and trade stories.
    All the best,
    Julie
    www.breadandbees.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete