Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve 2010, 50 Degrees and Buzzing

With temperatures about 50 degrees on the roof there was significant bee activity outside the hives.  One of the hives (Newport), however, did not break cluster although a few strays were seen entering the hive.  Of the other two large hives, what will be Westerly and Providence were flying vigorously. 



Sadly, our nuc looks dead...I did not peak in but I saw no activity at the entrance and the weather has been very cold.  I do not think the cluster was large enough to deal.

Of most fun was being witness to several bees doing their "cleanse," although these were not the cleansing 'flights' we have been told about in beekeeping references.

1 comment:

  1. I will be honest here, I am really afraid of bees and have bad experience with them. Never tried to know about them but this post have something for me to learn about tham. Thank you for sharing it

    ReplyDelete